We have been grilling non-stop for the last two weeks thanks to the Whole30. It makes dinner prep really easy since my meals consist mostly of protein these days. I can throw chicken, steak, or fish on the grill with little prep and have a healthy dinner on the table in no time. I’ve also been on a grilled veggie kick. I like the usual, eggplants, squash, onions, bell pepper and occasionally asparagus and mushrooms (shiitake are my favorite these days).
I forgot how good grilled veggies taste and love re-visiting old favorites.
I’ve been getting creative with my sides because eating protein and vegetables every day will make you wanna forget the Whole30 ever existed and go back to eating carbs! I’m not a junk food eater but I love to experiment with foods so eating similar meals second week in a row are getting a little routine for me. And I’m not a fan of routine food.
So I gave my favorite grilled veggies a makeover by loading them up with fresh ingredients like tomatoes, basil (out of my garden!) and finished it off with chopped almonds and zesty greek vinaigrette. Simple ingredients but full of flavor. I also like to sprinkle crumbled feta on top but this time around I opted out and it still tasted absolutely heavenly. Enjoy and TGIF!
Happy father’s day to the one who lights up my childs world like no other …not even me!
- 1 medium eggplant, trimmed, cut lengthwise into 1 inch thick slices
- 2 medium zucchini, trimmed, cut lengthwise into 1/2–1 inch thick slices
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- fresh basil leaves, chopped
- extra-virgin olive oil for brushing
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 3 pinches salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a mason jar and shake vigorously until combined; set aside.
- Season eggplant slices with salt. Place in a colander and let stand for 30 minutes; rinse and pat dry.
- Preheat grill to medium high. Brush slices of eggplant and zucchini with olive oil. Grill until tender, 4 minutes on each side.
- Mix tomatoes with vinaigrette. Layer grilled vegetables on a platter and spoon the tomato mixture on top. Sprinkle with chopped almonds and fresh basil. Drizzle additional vinaigrette on top.
Sprinkle feta cheese for added flavor.