Chicken sausage, tender broccolini, and whole wheat pasta make a simple and healthy weeknight dinner under 30 minutes!
There’s nothing better than an easy and healthy weeknight dinner that comes together in about 30 minutes! This chicken sausage and broccolini pasta is all about simple ingredients (only 7 to be exact!) and good ingredients.
I used organic hot Italian sausage with only few simple ingredients. If you’re not a fan of spicy, sweet Italian is definitely a great alternative. For the pasta, I personally prefer whole wheat as much as possible and used small cut pasta, such as penne but small shells, fusilli, or orecchiette would all work. Then the broccolini.
Broccolini is very similar to broccoli but with smaller florets, longer, and thin stalks. Not to mention it is tender and cooks in less amount of time than regular broccoli. You can find it in just about any grocery store. To flavor the pasta, I added garlic, fresh lemon juice, and little bit of parm. Serve it up with a big fresh salad and you have a family approved weeknight meal in no time!
- 12 oz. whole wheat short cut pasta (I used penne)
- 1 lb. broccolini, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 12 oz. hot Italian or sweet Italian chicken sausage, sliced on diagonal
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed with side of knife and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving, if desired
- kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water (about 3 quarts) to a boil. Add pasta and cook for about 7 minutes. Add broccolini to the same pot, and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes longer or until the pasta and broccolini are tender. Drain pasta mixture, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and swirl to coat. Add sausage and cook until browned, about 6 minutes, then remove from the pan.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and cook garlic until fragrant. Add cooked pasta, broccolini, and sausage to the pan. Stir in about ½ cup of reserved pasta water and mix well adding more if needed. Taste for salt and pepper, and adjust as needed.
- Stir in lemon juice and Parmesan cheese. Remove from heat and serve immediately with extra Parmesan cheese, if desired.