Chicken sausage, tender broccolini, and whole wheat pasta make a simple and healthy weeknight dinner under 30 minutes!
- 12 oz. whole wheat short cut pasta (I used penne)
- 1 lb. broccolini, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 12 oz. hot Italian or sweet Italian chicken sausage, sliced on diagonal
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed with side of knife and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving, if desired
- kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water (about 3 quarts) to a boil. Add pasta and cook for about 7 minutes. Add broccolini to the same pot, and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes longer or until the pasta and broccolini are tender. Drain pasta mixture, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and swirl to coat. Add sausage and cook until browned, about 6 minutes, then remove from the pan.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and cook garlic until fragrant. Add cooked pasta, broccolini, and sausage to the pan. Stir in about 1/2 cup of reserved pasta water and mix well adding more if needed. Taste for salt and pepper, and adjust as needed.
- Stir in lemon juice and Parmesan cheese. Remove from heat and serve immediately with extra Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Keywords: easy, pasta dinner, weeknight, kid friendly