Easy 20-minute chicken caprese dinner that is juicy, tender, and loved by everyone! Made in one pan with juicy chicken thighs, fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, and a drizzle of sweet and tangy balsamic glaze. Get your pan out. We’re making chicken dinner!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Let’s talk about quick family dinners. Everybody loves them and everybody wants them. This chicken caprese is pure definition of easy dinner. Made with 6-ingredients, one pan, and in about 20-minutes. It combines one of the most loved flavor combinations: caprese. Tomato, basil, fresh mozzarella and balsamic vinegar. All on top of a juicy, tender, chicken thigh. The trick to this quick chicken caprese recipe is to use chicken thighs. Chicken thighs cook fairly quick and turn out juicy every single time.
What is Chicken Caprese?
Chicken caprese is seasoned chicken topped with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, and drizzle of balsamic glaze. It’s simple as that. It’s basically a caprese salad over a cooked chicken.
Chicken Caprese Recipe
Key to this caprese mozzarella chicken is not to over cook the chicken. You want your skillet pretty hot before adding the chicken. It should sizzle and begin browning right away. If the skillet is not hot enough, your chicken will give off moisture and “steam”. Cast-iron or a stainless steel pan are great for searing meat. Make sure to use at least a 14-inch pan so the chicken is not over-crowded.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN CAPRESE:
- Step 1: First you’ll want to start on the balsamic glaze. Add the balsamic vinegar to a small saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, partially covered, for about 15-23 minutes. Start checking the glaze around 15 minutes. It should be thick but still easily pourable by a spoon. Overcooked glaze becomes gummy and tough. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Step 2: While the glaze is simmering, pat dry the chicken lightly with a paper towel. Season both sides with salt and pepper, to taste. Slice the mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil, and set aside.
- Step 3: Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add butter and olive oil. When butter begins to foam, add chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until almost cooked through.
- Step 4: Top each chicken thigh with a slice of mozzarella and cover the pan with a lid. Reduce heat to medium and let the cheese soften, for about 1-2 minutes.
- Step 5: Remove the pan off heat, and top each thigh with sliced tomato, basil, and drizzle of balsamic glaze. At this point I also like to add a light sprinkle of kosher salt over the tomato. It brings out the sweetness of the tomato and the glaze.
- SAVE TIME: To speedy up this recipe even further, skip on making your own balsamic glaze and simply pick one up at the grocery store. They’re usually sold in the same aisle as the oil and vinegar.
What to Serve with Caprese Chicken?
If you make this Easy Chicken Caprese, please leave feedback by rating the recipe and/or leaving a comment.Print
Easy 20-minute chicken caprese dinner that is juicy, tender, and loved by everyone! Made in one pan with juicy chicken thighs, fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, and a drizzle of sweet and tangy balsamic glaze.
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 6 boneless, skinless, chicken thighs (about 2 pounds total)
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1–2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 6 slices
- 2 medium tomatoes on the vine, sliced
- fresh basil, cut into thin strips
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- In a small saucepan, bring balsamic vinegar to a simmer over medium-low heat. Reduce heat to low or as needed and simmer partially covered for 15-23 minutes, until vinegar has reduced to a thicken glaze. Start checking the glaze around 15 minutes. It should be thick but still easily pourable by a spoon. Remove from heat.
- While the vinegar is simmering, prepare the chicken. Lightly pat dry the chicken thighs with paper towel. Season both sides with salt and pepper, to taste.
- In a large sauté pan, heat butter with olive oil over medium-high heat. When butter begins to foam, add chicken to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until the chicken is nearly cooked through.
- Top each chicken thigh with a slice of mozzarella cheese. Cover pan with lid, reduce heat to medium, and allow the chicken to cook 1-2 minutes longer until the cheese has slightly melted.
- Remove the pan from the heat, top each thigh with a slice of tomato and sprinkle with fresh basil. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and serve immediately.
- Key to getting the chicken nicely golden brown is to make sure the skillet is hot, chicken is not crowded, and using a cast-iron or stainless steel pan. You’ll need at least a 14-inch pan.
- To speedy up this recipe even further, skip on making your own glaze and use a store-bought balsamic glaze. Usually sold in the same aisle as the oil.
Keywords: easy, quick, under 30 minutes,
*Disclaimer: this post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission if you make a purchase using this link at no cost to you. As always, thank you for supporting and allowing me to share recipes with you.