I have a tasty new appetizer to share with you friends. We love appetizer/bite size food at the house. I’m a muncher and tend to eat small portions throughout the day. So there is always something stashed in my fridge that I can quickly have on the go. Plus Fridays is our tapas night and all about small plates + bite size food that my boys and I can enjoy while lounging around, watching a movie, or simply doing nothing. So healthy is something I always strive to make.
This Veggie Loaded 7-Layer Dip has become our favorite and with warmer days upon us, makes a great appetizer to serve at a party.
It’s a healthified version of the popular 7-layer dip that everyone SO SO loves! There are gazillion versions of this dip but I think the traditional one ALWAYS calls for refried beans, taco seasoning, and some type of cheese. I skipped out on all those layers and instead made my own version of refried beans by using black canned beans with chipotle pepper, lime juice, cumin, and cilantro << this here my friends is tasty, clean, and only 5 minutes to make.
Then I loaded this baby up with simple avocado mush – avocados, cilantro, and lime juice. I used plain full fat sour cream for the white layer. I skipped on using taco seasoning as you don’t really need it here b/c the veggies taste super delicious on their own. Chopped fresh iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and red onion make up the rest of the layers.
I kept it clean and simple. The taste is ridiculously good, crisp, and guilt free. You can play around with the veggie layers to your own personal liking. Key to this dip is seasoning well with salt and pepper. I’m not a huge salt person and normally go light, which for most is probably not enough, but you can season as needed to your own taste.
Serve this with tortilla chips and you’re good to go!!! Now just bring on the drinks.
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained + rinsed
- 1 (dry) chipotle pepper (found in produce section next to peppers)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. water
- ½ cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 3 avocados, pitted + mashed with fork
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- ½ cup sour cream (I used full fat)
- 2 cups chopped iceberg lettuce
- 3 romana tomatoes, seeded and chopped (about 1½ cups)
- 1 cup chopped hothouse cucumber
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- salt and pepper
- chopped fresh cilantro, to garnish (optional)
- tortilla chips, to serve
- In a bowl of a food processor, combine all the ingredients and pulse until well blended and smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the beans in an even layer on the bottom of a 8X11 (or similar) casserole dish. Spread the avocado in an even layer on top of the beans, followed by a layer of sour cream, then the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion.
- Season the top lightly with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips.
© Little Broken. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission or claim my work as your own. Feel free to Pin, Tweet, Facebook and share away with a link back to the recipe post. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link back to this recipe.