Veggie loaded 7-Layer dip is a healthier version of the popular 7-layer dip that everyone SO SO loves! Made with healthy bean layer, guacamole, veggies, and no cheese.
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained + rinsed
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 Tbsp. chopped red onion
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 large ripe avocados
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup sour cream (I used full fat)
- 2 cups chopped or sliced iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup finely chopped English cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped (about 1 cup)
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- Fresh cilantro, to garnish, optional
- Tortilla chips, to serve
- To a bowl of a food processor, add beans, garlic, red onion, cumin, chili powder, lime juice, water, and cilantro. Season thoroughly with salt and pepper to taste. Pulse until well blended and smooth, scrapping down the sides.
- Combine the avocado, cilantro, and lime juice in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mash with a fork until semi-chunky consistency.
- Spread the beans on a bottom of a 2-quart rectangular or round dish. Next layer the guacamole, sour cream, lettuce, cucumbers, red onions, and tomatoes. If desired, garnish with cilantro leaves. Chill 15-20 minutes before serving with tortilla chips.
- Serving: This dip is best served immediately. It does not do well when made ahead. The vegetables give off juice when the dip sits for too long. You can however prepare the bean layer up to a day ahead and keep it refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to serve.
- Original Recipe: The original recipe for this 7-layer dip that I published in 2015 called for dry chipotle peppers for the bean layer. I had to change the recipe as I realized that dry chipotle peppers are not easy to come by at most grocery stores. Instead, I supplemented with spices, garlic, and onion. The rest of the recipe remained the same.
Keywords: healthy, football, snack, veggies