Thank you to Shady Brook Farms for sponsoring this post. As always, all opinions are 100% my own.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Giant bowl of chopped southwestern salad with ALL the veggies and the most delicious grilled turkey and croutons!
What’s better than a giant loaded southwestern salad for Cinco de Mayo? Probably not much. Just because this here is your entire meal. It’s so filling and delicious with all the chopped veggies, not to mention insanely delicious grilled turkey and croutons.
I’m using Shady Brook Farms’s Ready to Season Turkey Breast Strips. They are the perfect way to make this chopped salad. I love that they are already pre-cut and ready to be seasoned. I went with a simple salt and black pepper combo with addition of little olive oil.
I then just threaded the turkey strips onto skewers and grilled for about 2 minutes per side. They turn out so juicy and add a little smoky flavor to the salad. Not to mention they take hardly any time to cook. As always, Shady Brook Farms’s Turkey Breast Strips are made with no-growth promoting antibiotics or added hormones or steroids.
At the same time that the turkey strips are grilling, you want to add the croutons to the grill. They take about a minute to cook on each side and turn out so crispy!
The rest of the salad is made with corn, black beans, tomatoes, red onion, avocado, cilantro and chopped romaine. Everything is then tossed in a honey lime dressing. The dressing is entirely made in a food processor. If by any chance you want to skip the food processor, just finely chop your cilantro and add all of the dressing ingredients into a mason jar and shake until combined.
- 1 (16 oz.) Shady Brook Farms Turkey Breast Strips
- 2 cups diced bread*
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 6–8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 tomatoes on the vine, diced
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup corn
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 cup diced red onion
- chopped cilantro, to taste
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, about 2 limes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- black pepper, to taste
- Take the turkey breast strips out of the package and rinse under cold water. Pat dry lightly with paper towel and place in a bowl. Toss with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Thread turkey strips onto skewers and place on a platter.
- Drizzle the bread cubes with little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Thread onto skewers.
- Grill the turkey for 2 minutes per side or until fully cooked through and croutons for 1 minute per side or until lightly browned.
- Add the remaining salad ingredients into a large bowl and toss with the dressing. Taste for salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
- Place all of the ingredients in a bowl of a food process and pulse until combined.
*I find that rustic, handmade-style type stale bread (and not sandwich bread) works the best for homemade croutons. You want to dice the bread into 1 – 1 1/2 inch cubes.