Creamy tomato and basil soup without any cream. Simply roasted veggies simmered with fresh leeks creates an intense and buttery flavor. Paired with quick Parmesan crisps for a light, yet comforting meal.
Creamy tomato soup is something I personally love year round. It’s hearty enough to enjoy in the colder months but also light enough to have in the summer time, especially when made with juicy summer tomatoes. This tomato soup is so simple and that’s what I love the most. It’s also rich and creamy but has no cream or cream alikes.
The trick is to simply roast the veggies. Roasting brings out the sweetness and intense flavor of the tomatoes. Then the tomatoes are simmered with fresh leeks, plenty of fresh basil, Parmesan cheese rind, and spices. Give the soup a quick run in the food processor or blender until smooth and then serve with a drizzle of olive oil and Parmesan crisps (these Parmesan crisps are insanely addictive!).
It’s creamy, buttery, with slight sweetness from the tomatoes and a little kick from the red pepper flakes. Absolutely delicious soup that my whole family (including the kids) absolutely adore!
- 3 pounds plum tomatoes, quartered
- 2 medium shallots, peeled and quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1½ tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided, plus extra for serving
- 1 leek, leaves cut off and white and light green part cut into half moons
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 oz. fresh basil leaves
- 1 Parmesan cheese rind*
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- fresh black pepper, to taste
- 1 baguette, cut into thirds then sliced ⅛-inch thick (use a really sharp serrated knife)
- ⅓ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine the tomatoes, shallots, garlic, oregano, ½ teaspoon salt, and 1 Tablespoon olive oil. Season with black pepper, to taste. Spread the mixture onto a large parchment lined baking sheet and roast for 1 hour.
- In a large dutch oven, heat remaining 1 Tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add the sliced leeks and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add roasted tomatoes (plus the juices), chicken stock, basil, cheese rind, red pepper flakes, and remaining ½ teaspoon of salt. Season with black pepper, to taste. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes. The liquid will slightly reduce.
- Discard the cheese rind and transfer the soup to a high speed blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Taste for salt and pepper. Serve with light drizzle of olive oil and Parmesan crisps.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Arrange baguette slices on two large parchment lined baking sheets. Brush both sides with olive oil and sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden and crisp. Let cool completely before serving.