Creamy tomato and basil soup without any cream. Simply roasted veggies simmered with fresh leeks creates an intense and buttery flavor.
- 3 pounds plum tomatoes, quartered
- 2 medium shallots, peeled and quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided, plus extra for serving
- 1 leek, leaves cut off and white and light green part cut into half moons
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 oz. fresh basil leaves
- 1 Parmesan cheese rind
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Fresh black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine the tomatoes, shallots, garlic, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 Tablespoon olive oil. Season with black pepper, to taste. Spread the mixture onto a large parchment-lined baking sheet and roast for 1 hour.
- In a large dutch oven, heat the remaining 1 Tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add the sliced leeks and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add roasted tomatoes (plus the juices), chicken stock, basil, cheese rind, red pepper flakes, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Season with black pepper, to taste. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes. The liquid will slightly reduce.
- Discard the cheese rind and transfer the soup to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. You can also use an immersion blender. Taste for salt and pepper. Serve with light drizzle of olive oil.
- Parmesan Rind: Some grocery stores sell Parmesan cheese rinds in the same section as the cheeses. I normally keep mine from a Parmesan cheese wedge to use in soups. If you can’t get your hands on a cheese rind, grate some Parmesan cheese into the finished soup. I would start off with a few tablespoons, taste, and add more as needed.
- Leftovers: Leftover soup can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 275
- Sugar: 12.5 g
- Sodium: 380 mg
- Fat: 15.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.9 g
- Protein: 10.9 g
- Cholesterol: 9.3 mg
Keywords: dairy free, light, summer