Thank you to my friends at Shady Brook Farms for sponsoring todays post. As always, all opinions stated are my own.
The easiest way to use up leftover turkey meat is to make turkey chili! It’s flavor packed with ton of delicious spices and also loaded with good for you veggies, like corn and edamame.
I got the most delicious chili recipe for you all today and it’s made with leftover turkey meat. Because it’s an annual struggle for us – what to do with all the leftover turkey meat? So I have no doubt you guys are in the same boat. Well think no more.
This chili is super (duper) easy to make. Even though by the look of the ingredient list it may seem like it’s a lengthy recipe but honestly you’ll be dumping and stirring practically the entire time!
First you need good quality, tender, juicy turkey meat and of course it all starts with the whole turkey. My personal favorite way is not stuffing the bird and using a simple brine. Stuffing can be tricky and lead to uneven cooking and even dried out meat. So I personally just avoid it. I used a breast and thigh for the chili but any type of cut will do.
Then you start by sautéing the veggies. Add in all the spices and let them cook for just a minute or two. You want flavors to blend. Stir in your turkey meat, tomatoes, stock, and simmer the mixture for good 30 minutes. It will slightly reduce. Finish the chili off with beans, corn, and edamame. I think the corn and edamame are my two favorite additions. They brighten the chili and add another delicious layer of flavor.
So much flavor from all beans, veggies, and spices. It’s thick but not too thick. Top it with you favorite toppings and you are set!
For more tips on how to cook the most delicious Thanksgiving bird, you can visit here.
Make it. Snap it. Show it. Instagram @littlebrokenblog or snapchat → littlebrokenblg
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium sweet onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 2 bay leafs
- 1½ tsp. kosher salt
- 4 cups leftover Shady Brook Farms turkey meat
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (32 oz.) carton chicken stock
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can red kidney beans, rinsed + drained
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can garbanzo beans, rinsed + drained
- ½ cup frozen corn
- ½ cup frozen shelled edamame
- black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven or stockpot over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, garlic, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, dried oregano, bay leaf, salt, and black pepper, to taste. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add turkey meat, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, and stock. Simmer, partially covered over medium-low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add kidney beans, garbanzo beans, corn, and edamame, and simmer for 10 minutes longer.
- Discard bay leafs, taste for salt and pepper, and serve with favorite toppings.
© Little Broken. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission or claim my work as your own. Feel free to Pin, Tweet, Facebook and share away with a link back to the recipe post. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link back to this recipe.