Cake like super moist Italian inspired cookies with creamy ricotta and a hint of orange. Drizzled with irresistible maple glaze. Serve these with cup of tea, coffee, or cold glass of milk. So delicious! These are sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Fall is officially here! I know that because I tend to go on a baking binge and by binge I mean baking maybe like twice a month? That’s huge for me! Considering I’m not a huge baker nor a sweets lover. I think it’s the cooler weather that makes me want to cozy up with something sweet and warm. I’m not complaining though nor is my family because I get to entertain with cookies like these!
These Orange Ricotta Cookies are so different from anything I’ve ever had before. Apparently ricotta cookies are a popular Italian dessert, usually flavored with lemon and drizzled with a glaze. I put my own spin on these and added fresh orange juice and drizzled them with super creamy and luscious maple glaze. The combination of both flavors is absolutely addicting!
The cookies are soft and cake-like as in pillowy soft. Ricotta makes them super moist and fresh orange juice adds a wonderful flavor. After they cool, they are drizzled with irresistible maple glaze. You will want to eat that stuff by a spoonful!
I made two batches of these in one week and the first batch I did not even glaze and between me, hubby, plus my kiddo – THEY were gone! Super delicious as a light dessert to serve with coffee, tea or just cold whole milk. #yum
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 stick (4 oz.) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 (15 oz.) container whole milk ricotta cheese
- 3 Tbsp. fresh orange juice (approx 1 medium orange)
- 1 tsp. orange zest, plus additional (optional) zest
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a large clean bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until incorporated. Add the ricotta cheese, orange juice, and orange zest. Beat to combine. With a wooden spoon, gradually stir in the dry ingredients. Do not overmix!
- Spoon the dough 1 1/2 inches apart (with either ice cream scooper or 1 tablespoon measuring spoon) onto the baking sheets.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes on the middle rack, until slightly golden at the edges.
- Remove from the oven and onto a wire rack. Cool completely.
- Drizzle with Maple Glaze. Sprinkle with orange zest (optional).
- Stir together melted butter, syrup, and cream. Whisk in powdered sugar until smooth.
cookie recipe lightly adapted from foodnetwork.com
Tag me @littlebrokenblog and follow me showing me your food creations, whether from LittleBroken.com or your own: Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest.