Healthier take the beloved onion dip! Made with creamy Greek yogurt, caramelized shallots, and chives. This onion dip can be served with fresh vegetables, pita bread, or crackers.
TGIF my friends! I have the most luscious, creamiest, and flavor packed dip for you today. Just in time for the weekend too! This dip is a healthier take on the popular onion dip, which a lot of times is made with butter, mayonnaise or sour cream. But no butter or mayo in this bad boy. Instead it’s made with olive oil, Greek yogurt, caramelized shallots, and plenty of fresh chives. The slow cooked shallots with splash of balsamic vinegar are seriously a flavor bomb. They are so delicious and definitely a staple in this dip.
You want to refrigerate the dip for good 30 minutes or so before serving. It gives all the ingredients time to marinate a little and then serve with your favorite veggies, pita chips, crackers, pretzels or if you want to be naughty…plain potato chips. So good.
Make it. Snap it. Show it. Instagram @littlebrokenblog or snapchat → littlebrokenblg
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped shallots, about 2 large
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used 2%)
- ¼ cup milk (I used whole milk)
- ¼ cup fresh chopped chives
- black pepper, to taste
- to serve: fresh chopped up veggies, pita bread, pretzels, crackers
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and ½ teaspoon salt; cook until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add water and vinegar. Reduce heat to low and saute for 12-15 minutes or until the shallots are browned and caramelized, stirring occasionally. All of the water should have reduced at this point.
- In a mixing bowl combine cooked shallots, Greek yogurt, milk, chives, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Season with black pepper, to taste. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Taste for salt and pepper before serving.