Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
This homemade buttermilk ranch dressing is the best! Made with buttermilk, fresh dill, and a handful of pantry ingredients.
Best Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
Ranch dressing is one of the most refreshing ways to dress a salad. This homemade buttermilk ranch dressing comes together in less than 10 minutes and tastes, well, the BEST!
A touch of cool, creamy, garlicky, and fresh. It’s one of the tastiest dressings you can make right at home with most ingredients already on hand.
It’s all about the seasoning and what I love about this one is that it does not require a load of different spices but only a few flavorful ingredients.
The Secret to Great Ranch is Buttermilk
Buttermilk is the secret ingredient to the best-tasting ranch dressing. It adds extra tanginess to the dressing, which is evenly balanced with the rest of the ingredients. The end result is tangy, sweet, and creamy with a bite.
What is buttermilk ranch made of? Here’s a quick run-down of the ingredients you’ll need to make the buttermilk ranch dressing recipe:
- sour cream
- fresh dill
- Dijon mustard
- lemon juice
- Tabasco sauce
How to Make the Buttermilk Ranch
Making homemade ranch dressing is too easy! You can whisk the ingredients by hand or if you’re doubling the recipe, add everything into a food-processor and let it do all the work for you.
To make ranch dressing, add all of the ingredients into a bowl and whisk until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy right away or store covered in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Ways to Use Ranch Dressing
Besides spooning ranch dressing over a salad, it also makes an amazing condiment. Here are some ways to use it:
- Serve it as a dip for chicken wings or crispy chicken tenders.
- Add it to your vegetable platter to serve alongside veggies and crackers.
- Spoon it over a lettuce wrap or a bowl.
- It also makes the best dip for fries.
Few Tips & Notes
- The dressing will thicken the longer it sits. Feel free to thin out with little milk, buttermilk, or water.
- If you prefer garlicky dressing, add up to 2 cloves of garlic.
- For best results, avoid reduced-fat and/or lite sour cream and mayonnaise.
- Use fresh dill. It’s so much more flavorful than dill weed.
Love homemade salad dressings? Try our Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing, Homemade Poppyseed Dressing, Mango Dressing, or Greek Yogurt Caesar Dressing.Print
Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Blending
- Cuisine: American
The best homemade buttermilk ranch dressing lies in a handful of basic ingredients! I promise you’ll never go back to store-bought dressing again.
Yields: 3/4 cup
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp. sour cream
- 3 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tsp. fresh finely chopped dill
- 1–2 garlic cloves, pressed or grated with a microplane
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Few dashes of Tabasco sauce
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients and whisk until well blended and smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve right away or cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Garlic: Feel free to add up to 2 cloves of garlic to the dressing if you prefer a more garlicky dressing. The garlic flavor will get stronger the longer the dressing sits.
- Reduced-Fat: For best results, do not use reduced-fat and/or lite sour cream and mayonnaise.
- Storing the Dressing: The dressing will thicken when refrigerated. Thin out with little milk, buttermilk, or water.
- Serving Size: 3 tablespoons
- Calories: 102
- Sugar: 1.6 g
- Sodium: 126 mg
- Fat: 9.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 2.3 g
- Protein: 1.6 g
- Cholesterol: 9.8 mg
Keywords: dressing, homemade, salad, easy
Great recipe as usual… This is our family’s favorite ranch dressing. Everyone in our family loves it and we pretty much eat it by spoon-fulls and in abnormal amounts for a human being. However…
I had to make a small/tiny change to your recipe… here is how we make it… we use 1 cup of mayonnaise and 7 garlic cloves and combine those special ingredients together and add just a sip of some left over milk which is always left by our little ones… Other ingredients are just a distraction from a real great Natural Nature given taste of the smooth velvet texture of the white goodness of the mayonnaise and God given super food which is Garlic.
We also don’t use it for salads or any other GREEN Animal or Rabbit food like grassy leaves, lettuce, celery or any other vegematic plants. we only use it to dip our bread in it, we use it a lot on meat when we DUNK our meats into a bowl/bucket full of your creation. Thank you again for a great recipe. we will be using it for wings tonight…
Thank you Bertha! I so appreciate your feedback.
This came out good and will be using again in the future. I needed some Buttermilk Dressing for a side dish I was making, a Mexican Pasta dish to accompany a Mexican main course dinner. I did add some onion powder to the dressing as I felt it was the one note that was missing when I tasted it after I refrigerated it overt night. Thanks
I’ve never thought to make my own ranch dressing before.. and after seeing this post you definitely have inspired me too. Love how easy it is to whip up!
Glad I can inspire you a little and this dressing is def easy and tasty to whip up 🙂
Easy enough. I always have leftover buttermilk in the fridge, so I will make this dressing for sure. What a treat!
that’s awesome! What do you normally use buttermilk for? I find not many people use it or even know what it is