Wholesome bowl of hot blueberry oatmeal with flax is the BEST healthy breakfast you’ll ever eat! Topped with toasted pecans, fresh blueberries, and drizzle of honey. This oatmeal is all about clean, good for your ingredients that will keep you full and satisfied without any sacrifice in taste.
Happy New Year guys! I missed you all. Feels like it’s been forever. As much as I love to cook, it was so nice to take time off from the kitchen and spend time with family. Now I’m completely refreshed, back with new ideas and 100% motivated to kick off the year with good and healthy habits.
Speaking of healthy habits, let’s make the most important meal of the day: breakfast. Not just any breakfast but a wholesome bowl of hearty oatmeal. This stuff here is simple to make and will leave your belly fully satisfied. Even if you’re up before the crack of dawn, you can totally make this. So, let’s kiss those instant oatmeal packets goodbye and make some real food.
All you need is milk, water, old-fashioned oats, ground flaxseed and salt. Bring the water + milk to a boil. Add oats, flax + salt. Cook for about 6-7 minutes until the oats are tender. Remove the saucepan from the heat, cover, and let stand for about 2 minutes. Stir couple times and then the fun part….spoon the oats into serving bowls, add blueberries, pecans, and drizzle of honey. And eat away!
What I love about this oatmeal besides that it’s super satisfying and filling is that by just adding couple extra ingredients (hello flaxseed!!!) to regular oats you have yourself a completely wholesome breakfast with good for you carbs, fiber, and protein. Plus it’s naturally sweetened with honey ♥ And you can play around with different fruit and nut toppings, so you never have to get tired of same ol’ breakfast again.
- 1 cup milk (I used whole milk)
- ¾ cup water
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
- pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup fresh blueberries
- 2 Tbsp. roughly chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- In a small saucepan, bring milk and water to a boil over medium heat. Watch the milk as it over boils quickly. Reduce the heat to a medium-low and stir in oats, flaxseed, and salt. Cook for 6-7 minutes until the oats are tender, stirring frequently.
- Remove the saucepan from heat. Cover and let sit for 2 minutes.
- Then stir the oatmeal couple times and divide between two serving bowls. Top evenly with blueberries, pecans, and drizzle of honey. Serve immediately.
© Little Broken. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission or claim my work as your own. Feel free to Pin, Tweet, Facebook and share away with a link back to the recipe post. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link back to this recipe.