Today is September 1st guys! My IG feed has been blowing up with everything September and fall. Are we seriously there already?! It sure does not feel like it. We’ve been hitting close to 90 degrees every day this week and enjoying evenings like this while we still can. My kiddo started school last week and we’re finally getting back into some type of routine. That means more simple weeknight meals that are easy to make and easy to clean.
I’m always looking for easy dinners that are delicious, healthy and meals that my whole family will enjoy. I love this One-Pot Chicken and Quinoa in Mustard Sauce for all those things. It’s my one pot wonder 🙂 Protein + carbs + veggies all in one pan. Easy to follow instructions, simple ingredients and BEST of all minimal clean up! It’s an ultimate weeknight meal.
You pretty much start off with sautéing the mushrooms first. You want to use a large pan (at least 3 quarts). It will make cooking everything a breeze, plus your mushrooms will thank you later (if mushrooms could talk that is ← I’m such a jokester). See my note in the recipe. Then you cook the chicken. To the chicken you add quinoa + liquid. Once quinoa is cooked, you stir in spinach, sauteed mushrooms and mustard sauce.
This mustard sauce is only 3 simple ingredients (mustard, maple syrup and lemon juice) and it’s absolutely amazing! Tangy and sweet at the same time. It pairs so nicely with the cooked chicken and adds creaminess to the dish (reminds me a little of risotto). The chicken comes out super flavorful and the veggies perfectly tender. It reheats nicely the next day too!
- 8 oz. pkg. sliced white mushrooms
- 4 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. fresh black pepper
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1¾ cup water
- 1 dry whole bay leaf
- 5 cups fresh baby spinach leaves, packed
- 3 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- red pepper flakes
- fresh chopped cilantro
- In a 3 quart saute pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned and tender. Remove to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- To the same pan, add remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Add chicken, season with salt and pepper. Increase heat to high and cook until lightly browned, stirring occasionally; about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in quinoa, water and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, partially covered, about 15 minutes. You want quinoa to be completely cooked and most of the liquid absorbed.
- While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the mustard sauce by whisking together the mustard, maple syrup and lemon juice in a small bowl; set aside.
- When quinoa is done cooking, remove the bay leaf. To the pan, add spinach and stir until slightly wilted, about 1 minute. Add cooked mushrooms, along with the mustard sauce. Stir to combine.
- Remove from heat and serve.
- Optional: serve with sprinkle of red pepper flakes and fresh chopped cilantro.