Weeknight friendly chicken and quinoa with mushrooms, spinach, and mustard sauce. It’s made in one pan with basic ingredients. You’ll be surprised how easy it is to make!
- 4–5 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
- 8 oz. white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 6 oz. fresh baby spinach leaves
- Fresh chopped parsley and red pepper flakes, for serving, optional
- 3 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- In a 3-quart sauté pan or large skillet, heat 2-3 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. When butter shimmers, add the mushrooms, and cook undisturbed for 5 minutes. Season with salt to taste, stir, and continue cooking until the mushrooms are tender and browned, stirring occasionally, about 4-5 minutes. Remove to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add remaining butter. When butter shimmers, add chicken, season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook until lightly browned, stirring occasionally, about 7-10 minutes.
- Stir in quinoa, water, bay leaf, and salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, about 15-17 minutes. You want quinoa to be completely tender and most of the liquid absorbed.
- While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the mustard sauce by whisking together the Dijon mustard, maple syrup and lemon juice. Set aside.
- When quinoa is tender, discard the bay leaf and add the spinach. Cover the pan and let the spinach cook for about 1-2 minutes or until wilted. Then using a pair of tongs, toss the spinach with the quinoa and chicken.
- Stir in mushrooms and mustard sauce. Serve garnished with parsley and red pepper flakes, if desired.
- Butter: If you want to cut down on the butter, olive oil is a good alternative.
- Chicken: Chicken breast is a good option for the thighs. Just make sure not to overcook it.
- Spinach: Swap out the spinach for chopped curly kale. Just make sure to de-stem the kale.
Keywords: one pan meal, quinoa and chicken, mustard sauce, creamy quinoa