No more rubbery and dried out baked chicken breast! With one simple trick, these oven-baked chicken fajitas are juicy and flavorful. All made in the oven and served as a lettuce wrap!
- 4 cups warm water
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- Optional: 2 cloves garlic, peeled + smashed with side of knife
- Optional: 1 Tbsp. black peppercorns
Veggies + Seasoning
- 2 medium bell peppers (any color), cut into thin strips
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 8–10 wedges
- 3 Tbsp. avocado oil
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 lime
- Black pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the water and salt. Stir until all of the salt has dissolved. Add the chicken breasts and optional add-ins (garlic and peppercorns). Let chicken sit in the mixture for 30 minutes, uncovered, at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray an 17 X 12-inch rimmed baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Remove the chicken from the brine, rinse under cold water, and pat dry with paper towels. Slice into 1/2-inch thick strips and add to a large bowl. If the chicken breast is thick, cut in half lengthwise and then slice into strips. To the chicken, add bell peppers and onions.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the avocado oil, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. Pour the mixture over the chicken and veggies, and toss with tongs until fully coated.
- Bake, uncovered, for 18-25 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked through and vegetables are tender. Stir once halfway.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and squeeze fresh lime juice over the chicken mixture. Season with more salt to taste if needed. Serve in a lettuce cup with desired toppings of choice.
- Toppings: See blog post for more topping ideas.
- Leftovers: Leftover chicken fajita mixture will last in the fridge for 3-4 days when stored in an airtight container. Reheat leftovers in a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat with a splash of water.
- Nutrition: Nutritional information does not include the toppings.
Keywords: oven baked, low carb chicken fajitas, chicken lettuce wraps