White chicken chili with apples is the best comfort food! Truly once you try this chili with apples you’ll be hooked.
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds chicken tenders, cut into bite size pieces
- 4 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 apples, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (use your favorite apples)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 – 2 1/4 cups chicken stock,
- 3/4 cup milk (I used full fat)
- 2 (15 oz.) cans pinto or white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded monterey or Mexican blend cheese (about 8 ounce bag)
- salt and pepper
- In a large dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, chili powder, and cumin. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook the chicken, stirring, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a large bowl.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pot. Add apples and onion. Cook, stirring, until softened. About 6-7 minutes. Transfer to the same bowl as the chicken.
- In the same pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in the flour for 1 minute, and then whisk in 2 cups of chicken stock and milk, until thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken-apple mixture and beans, bring to a simmer. If the chili is too thick, add remaining 1/4 cup stock or as needed. Then stir in the cheese until melted.
- Serve with your favorite toppings: sour cream, scallions, cilantro, fresh salsa, avocado, tortilla chips.
1/21/16: I’ve made few changes to the ingredient list and directions to make the recipe more simple and easy to follow. The taste stayed the same.
Keywords: comfort food, fall, winter, one pot