Apple Tart Recipe with a buttery crust that is made from scratch and creamy almond filling. Topped with tender cinnamon apple slices and crunchy almonds.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar, divided (1/4 c. + 1/4 c. + 2 Tbsp.)
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 2 apples such as Braeburn or Granny Smith (3, if apples are small), peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground nutmeg (about 1/8 tsp.)
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- 2 Tbsp. sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- In a medium bowl, cream butter and 1/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually beat in flour.
- Grease and flour 9-inch springform pan. Press the dough onto bottom and 1-inch up sides of the pan.
- In a clean medium bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add 1/4 cup sugar and continue beating until combined. Add egg and almond extract; beat on low speed just until blended. Pour into crust.
- Place sliced apples in a large bowl. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; toss to coat. Arrange apples over cream cheese mixture in overlapping pattern. Push down the dough lightly around the edges to even out with the filling. Bake 5 minutes in the preheated 450F oven.
- Reduce oven setting to 400F. Do not take out the tart out of the oven while reducing oven temperature. Bake 30-35 minutes longer or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown and begins to separate from the sides of the pan. Also when toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Take out tart out of the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- While the tart is cooling, prepare the glaze by mixing confectioners’ sugar and milk until smooth.
- Remove rim from the pan. Using a small sharp knife, gently go around the bottom of the tart crust to loosen the bottom. With a thin spatula or large knife, lift the tart from the pan onto a serving platter.
- Drizzle with prepared glaze and sprinkle with almonds. Cut into 12 servings and serve immediately.
- Refrigerate leftovers covered for up two days.
Keywords: fall, pie, apple picking,