Easy apple tart recipe with a buttery crust that is made from scratch and creamy almond filling. Topped with tender cinnamon apple slices and crunchy almonds.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar, divided (1/4 c. + 1/4 c. + 2 Tbsp.)
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, measured correctly
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 2 medium apples such as Braeburn or Granny Smith (3, if apples are small), peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground nutmeg (about 1/8 tsp.)
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- 2 Tbsp. sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- In a medium bowl, cream butter and 1/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually beat in flour.
- Grease and flour 9-inch springform pan. Press the dough onto the bottom and 1-inch up sides of the pan.
- In a clean medium bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add 1/4 cup sugar and continue beating until combined. Add egg and almond extract; beat on low speed just until blended. Pour into crust.
- Toss sliced apples with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Arrange apples over cream cheese mixture in an overlapping pattern. Push down the dough lightly around the edges to even out with the filling.
- Bake 5 minutes in the preheated 450F oven. Reduce oven setting to 400F. Do not take the tart out of the oven while reducing the oven temperature. Bake 30-35 minutes longer or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown and begins to separate from the sides of the pan. Check doneness with a toothpick inserted into the middle of the tart. Take the tart out of the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- While the tart is cooling, prepare the glaze by mixing confectioners’ sugar and milk until smooth.
- Remove rim from the springform pan. Using a small sharp knife, gently go around the bottom of the tart crust to loosen the bottom. With a thin spatula or large knife, lift the tart from the pan onto a serving platter.
- Drizzle with prepared glaze and sprinkle with almonds. Cut into 12 servings and serve immediately. Refrigerate leftovers covered for up two days.
- Recipe adapted with changes from Taste of Home and originally published on 9/18/2015.
Keywords: fall, pie, apple dessert