Bell peppers stuffed with Italian sausage, brown rice, roasted peppers, and cheese make a hearty fall meal.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 8 oz. mild Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 3 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup cooked long-grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup diced canned chiles
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley, plus extra for garnish
- 3 large bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise, seed and stem removed
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup water
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until no longer pink on the outside, about 5-7 minutes while breaking up the meat with a spoon. Do not drain the grease.
- Stir in onions, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Cook until onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until falling apart and much of the liquid evaporated, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in rice, roasted peppers, chiles, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook until everything is heated through.
- Season the inside of bell peppers with salt and pepper. Spoon a generous amount of sausage and rice mixture into each pepper half and place snuggly in a baking dish.
- Pour water on the bottom of the baking dish. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 45-60 minutes or until peppers are tender. In the last 5 minutes of baking, top with cheese. Garnish with fresh parsley before serving.
- Leftovers: Leftover stuffed peppers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Or you can freeze them for up to 3 months.
- Reheating: Place stuffed peppers in a covered dish and reheat at 350F for 15-20 minutes. If frozen, first thaw out overnight in the fridge.
Keywords: peppers with sausage, fall, easy