Saucy mini chicken meatballs in a delicious Asian inspired sauce that are SUPER tender and easy to prepare. Perfect for your next holiday party!
- 1 cup plain Panko breadcrumbs, white or whole wheat
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 large eggs
- 4 Tbsp. grated onion (about 1 small)
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. sour cream
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 3/4 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. green onions, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- Make the meatballs: Add breadcrumbs to a large bowl. Pour milk over the breadcrumbs and let stand for 5 minutes or until the breadcrumbs absorb the milk.
- Add chicken, eggs, onion, cilantro, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Combine the mixture using your hands. It will be wet and sticky. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. It will be easier to roll.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll the mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls and set on the prepared baking sheet. If the mixture is still sticky, rub a little olive oil over the palm of your hands before rolling the meatballs.
- Set the oven rack about 9 inches from the heat source and broil the meatballs for 3-4 minutes on HIGH without flipping. The tops will be lightly (barely) golden and the inside raw. Remove and set aside while preparing the sauce.
- Make the sauce: In a dutch oven or large skillet, combine all the sauce ingredients, except for the green onions and sesame seeds. Bring the mixture to a slow simmer over medium-low heat and cook until the sugar dissolves.
- Stir in the meatballs and cook until the meatballs are completely cooked through about 7-9 minutes. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds before serving.
- Meatballs might be a little flat on the bottom when baked.
- Serving Size: 4 meatballs
- Calories: 169
- Sugar: 18.5 g
- Sodium: 510.2 mg
- Fat: 3.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 26.4 g
- Protein: 8.4 g
- Cholesterol: 51.2 mg
Keywords: mini meatballs, holiday meatballs