Stuffed bell peppers with ground turkey, turkey sausage, corn, black beans, salsa, spices, and fresh cilantro. Healthy and flavorful dinner for the whole family to enjoy!
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz. ground turkey
- 4 oz. sweet Italian turkey sausage, removed from casing
- 16 oz. jar mild or medium salsa (depending on how spicy you want it)
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 large bell peppers (any color), cut in half lengthwise, seed + stem removed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3-4 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add turkey and sausage, and cook until no longer pink, about 5-6 minutes, while breaking up with a spoon.
- Stir in salsa, tomato paste, salt, cumin, and oregano. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, and let simmer partially covered for 20-23 minutes, while stirring occasionally. The liquid will cook down to almost none. Stir in corn, beans, and cilantro. Remove pan from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Season the inside of bell peppers with salt and pepper. Spoon generous amount of meat mixture into each pepper half and place in a 10 X 10-inch baking dish. You want the peppers sitting snuggly in the baking dish.
- Pour water on the bottom of the pan. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 45-60 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Remove from the oven. Sprinkle each pepper evenly with cheese, cover tightly with foil and let sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes. The heat from the peppers will melt the cheese. Or broil the peppers for few minutes until cheese is melted.
- Leftovers: Leftover peppers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat either in the oven or in the microwave. To reheat in the oven, bake the peppers in a covered dish at 350 F for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
- To Freeze: Cooked peppers can be frozen in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw out in the refrigerator overnight and reheat in the oven at 350 F for 15-20 minutes.
Keywords: easy, Mexican, healthy,