Mandarin salad with carrots, cucumbers, peanuts, mandarin oranges, and fresh herbs tossed in flavorful peanut dressing. It’s a great salad to make ahead.
- 6 cups chopped iceberg lettuce or romaine lettuce
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots, about 1 medium
- 1 cup chopped English or Persian cucumbers
- 1 (11 oz.) can mandarin oranges, drained well
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped, about 1/2 cup
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes, plus more to taste
- 2–4 Tbsp. water
- In a large deep salad bowl, combine the salad ingredients and set aside.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients, adding water as needed to thin out the dressing until desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Taste the dressing and feel free to add in more honey or lime juice or flavorings, such as garlic, red pepper flakes, or sesame oil. Toss salad with the dressing and serve immediately. This recipe makes 4 bigger size portions or 6 smaller side salads.
- Substitutions: Feel free to use sliced almonds or wonton strips instead of peanuts.
- Make it vegan: Swap out the honey for maple syrup.
- Optional add-ins: Get creative and add more veggies to your salad, like bell peppers, sugar snap peas, or thinly sliced radishes.
- Leftovers: Only toss the amount of salad with the dressing that you know you will eat. Store the rest of the salad and dressing separately in a closed container for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 239
- Sugar: 22.4 g
- Sodium: 38.5 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.7 g
- Protein: 5.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: chinese, side, easy