Superfood salad! Leafy kale massaged with Dijon grapefruit vinaigrette, then topped with avocado, fresh grapefruit, sprinkle of parmesan, and crunchy pumpkin seeds.
- 8 cups chopped kale (leafy parts only, no stems)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 grapefruit, one half peeled + segmented and other half juiced (see note below)
- 1/3 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. toasted pumpkin seeds or sliced almonds
Dijon Grapefruit Vinaigrette
- 1 tsp. finely chopped shallot
- 3 Tbsp. fresh grapefruit juice (see note below)
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare the salad vinaigrette. In a bowl of a food processor, combine the shallot, grapefruit juice, olive oil, and Dijon mustard. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Process until well blended.
- In a large bowl, toss the kale with the salad vinaigrette. You can use your hands to massage the vinaigrette into the kale as it breaks down the leaves a bit. Then transfer the kale to a serving bowl or platter and let stand for 10 minutes while it slightly softens.
- While the kale is softening, peel and slice the avocado and segment the grapefruit.
- After 10 minutes, arrange the avocado and grapefruit slices over the kale greens. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and pumpkin seeds. Serve immediately.
You will need a total of one grapefruit for this recipe. One half of the grapefruit will go in the salad and the other half juiced for the vinaigrette.
Keywords: winter, citrus, kale