Nothing says “weekend” like homemade fluffy and light buttermilk pancakes with cherry syrup for breakfast! Easy to whip up with most ingredients on hand.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- cooking spray or butter, to cook the pancakes
- 12 oz. bag frozen cherries*
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. water
- Begin by preparing the Cherry Syrup. In a small saucepan, bring cherries, sugar, and water to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until the cherries cook down and the mixture begins to slightly resemble syrup like consistency. It will further thicken as it cools.
- For the pancakes, in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, and butter. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and whisk just until combined. Batter will be on the thick side. Don’t worry about a few lumps. It should have small to medium lumps.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Coat the pan with cooking spray or butter and when hot, spoon batter by 2 tablespoons for each pancake. You should be able to fit 3-4 pancakes in a large skillet.
- Cook for about 2 minutes per side or until golden brown. Reduce heat if pancakes begin to brown too quickly. Usually, first batch will require higher heat than subsequent batches.
- Remove to a platter and repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve warm with Cherry Syrup. Yields approx 15 pancakes.
*fresh pitted cherries can be substituted
Keywords: kid friendly, weekend, easy