- 2 cups basil leaves
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 3 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 medium eggplant, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 4 oz. soft goat cheese
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 4 oz. prosciutto, sliced
- 1 loaf of ciabatta bread, sliced in half lengthwise
- olive oil
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- In a food processor, combine the basil, Parmesan, pine nuts, garlic, and salt until well mixed. While the processor is running, slowly add the olive oil until the pesto is well combined. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Coat the bell pepper with olive oil and wrap loosely in foil. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 40 minutes or until charred and soft, turning occasionally. Once cool enough to handle, skin the bell pepper, remove the core and seeds and cut into 1-inch strips.
- While the bell pepper is roasting, season the eggplant slices lightly with salt and pepper. Add thin layer of olive oil to a skillet and cook the eggplant over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until browned. Note: add oil to the skillet as needed. Remove on paper towel to drain.
- Spread the pesto on one side of the ciabatta slice and goat cheese on the other. Layer on the prosciutto, red bell pepper, mozzarella, and eggplant.
- Wrap the sandwich tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight weighed down with a heavy object, such as milk carton, casserole dish, etc.
- Cut the sandwich into slices or mini square sandwiches. Makes 10 sliced sandwiches or 20 mini square sandwiches.
Tip: to avoid soggy bread, go easy on the pesto if refrigerating the sandwich overnight.
**Time does not include the time it takes to refrigerate the sandwich**