Flavor loaded 20-minute pasta with sun-dried tomato pesto and fresh baby spinach is SO easy to make! It makes the perfect meatless dinner or quick side dish for those busy back to school nights.
- 16 oz. gemelli or other short shaped pasta
- 1 (8.5 oz.) jar oil packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, packed, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups fresh baby spinach, packed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a bowl of a food processor, pulse the tomatoes and their oil until finely chopped. Add garlic, basil, and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pulse until the mixture resembles paste like consistency. It will be thick and you may have to stop the food processor to scrape down the sides.
- Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water. Return the pasta to the heat and stir in the spinach, sun-dried tomato pesto, and reserved cooking water. Stir until the spinach has wilted. Then add the Parmesan cheese. Taste for salt and pepper.
- Serve with sprinkle of chopped basil and more Parmesan, if desired.
- Pesto: pesto can also be made in a high-powdered blender. You will just have to stop and scrape down sides few times.
- Leftovers: leftover pasta stored in an airtight container will last for 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator. Reheat on the stovetop over medium-low heat with little water, chicken broth, or white wine.
Keywords: easy, quick, family friendly