Pasta primavera with shrimp is a veggie packed pasta dish that’s perfect year round. It’s flavorful, filling, and you can use whatever vegetables you have on hand!
- 8 oz. dry short cut pasta, such as farfalle, penne, fusilli
- 5 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. large or jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined, pat dried
- 4–5 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 oz. fresh mixed vegetables (see note), cut into strips
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice, from about 1 lemon
- Zest 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water and drain the rest.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in a large deep skillet or saute pan. Season the shrimp thoroughly with salt and pepper and add to the hot skillet. Cook until the shrimp is cooked through, about 4-5 minutes, flipping halfway. Remove to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan. Add sliced vegetables, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper to taste. Cook until nearly tender, about 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in garlic and chicken broth, and simmer, uncovered, until the mixture is reduced by half. Stir in butter.
- Add the cooked shrimp and pasta to the vegetables, along with lemon juice and zest. Gently toss while adding in the reserved pasta water. Stir in just enough pasta water to loosen the pasta. Stir in Parmesan cheese and parsley. Taste. Does it need more salt? Maybe more Parmesan? Or a little more lemon juice?
- Vegetables: You can use just about any variety of vegetables in this recipe. I like a combination of red pepper, onions, carrots, peas, and green beans. But mushrooms, asparagus corn, broccoli, zucchini, yellow squash, spinach, and snow peas also work great. Just make sure to cut the vegetables into a similar size so they cook evenly. And to cook the vegetables to a tender (almost) crisp texture, not soft and mushy.
- Leftovers: Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days when stored in an airtight container.
Keywords: vegetable pasta, easy shrimp dinner, healthy