Moist and fall apart salmon cakes made with fresh roasted salmon and quinoa. This recipe is an easy way to transform leftover salmon into next day meal! Serve these warm or cold as a sandwich, main course or over a salad.
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 lb. leftover cooked salmon, flaked apart
- 1–2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice, plus extra for serving
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- Olive oil or avocado oil, for cooking
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Combine quinoa and water in a small saucepan. Cook according to package directions. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Mix to combine quinoa, salmon, green onions, parsley, mayonnaise, mustard, eggs, lemon juice, and paprika. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Form into 12-13 patties, about 1/4 cup each.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add a few tablespoons of oil and when hot add the salmon patties. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown and crispy. Reduce heat if patties brown too fast. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining patties, adding more oil to the pan as needed. Before serving, add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice over the patties.
- Salmon – You could use leftover steamed, poached, grilled, or baked salmon. Canned salmon works too.
- Leftovers – Salmon cakes will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days in an airtight container.
- To Freeze – Place cooked salmon cakes on a lined baking sheet. Freeze for 1 hour. Remove from the freezer, wrap individually in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, and store in an airtight container or ziploc bag for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat in a nonstick skillet to retain crispiness.
- More Tips – Mixture too wet, dry, or falls apart? See post for all the solutions.
- Original Recipe – original recipe for these salmon quinoa cakes was published in October 2015. Since then we have taken all the notes, questions, and issues regarding this recipe from you the readers and re-tested and perfected the recipe with minor changes.
Keywords: patties, salmon patties, leftover salmon