- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, beat shortening and peanut butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Add 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Beat until combined. Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla. Gradually add flour and beat in as much as you can or you can also use a wooden spoon to stir in the flour. The dough should be a crumbly consistency.
- Place the remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar in a small bowl. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll the balls in sugar to coat and place on a parchment lined baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly golden and firm.
- While the cookies are baking, unwrap approximately 35-40 Kisses Milk Chocolates.
- Immediately after the cookies are done baking, press Kisses Milk Chocolates into the center of each cookie and transfer to a wire rack to cool. You want to do this quickly or the cookies will crack as they begin to cool when you try press the chocolates.
adapted from Better Homes and Garden magazine “100 Best Cookies” 2014