The best roasted tomato basil soup recipe on the internet! This recipe relies on fresh tomatoes and herbs rather than cream or milk. It’s rich and full of flavor.
- 3 lbs. ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 oz) can whole plum tomatoes, with juice
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
- 4 cups chicken stock (homemade or store bought)
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Gently toss the tomatoes with 1/4 cup olive oil and layer on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste. Roast for 45 minutes.
- In a large dutch-oven, heat olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, red pepper flakes, and a pinch of salt. Sauté until onions are translucent and start to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, roasted tomatoes, including the juices, and chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring the soup back to a simmer and cook for 40 minutes, uncovered.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and puree until smooth. Taste for salt and pepper. Serve with drizzle of cream or dollop of sour cream, fresh parmesan, and side of grilled cheese.
adapted from the Food Network by Ina Garten.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 228
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 186.4 mg
- Fat: 17.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.5 g
- Protein: 5.5 g
- Cholesterol: 11.2 mg
Keywords: comfort food, fresh, grilled cheese, healthy