Super moist zucchini bread made with buttermilk, coconut oil, no white sugar, crushed pineapple, and white-whole wheat flour.
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup crushed pineapple in juice
- 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups white-whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup grated zucchini, lightly packed, (about 1 (7 oz.) whole zucchini)
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 325 F degrees. Lightly coat a 9″ X 5″ loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, coconut oil, egg, vanilla extract, and pineapple. Stir in the brown sugar.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture and with a wooden spoon, stir just until combined. Some lumps are okay. Stir in the zucchini and lemon zest.
- Spoon the batter into a greased pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the loaf before transferring to a wire rack.
- Zucchini: After you grate the zucchini, lightly blot the zucchini with few sheets of paper towel to remove some of the moisture, especially if zucchini is super wet. Do not squeeze out all of the moisture.
- Sweetness: This zucchini bread is very lightly sweetened and I personally love it. It tastes amazing with a smear of butter and drizzle of honey. But if you prefer baked goods on a sweeter side, add 2 tablespoons of honey or maple syrup to the batter.
- Substitutions: I’ve made this bread variety of ways. I’ve substituted milk for buttermilk and olive oil for the coconut oil. Also, I’ve made the bread with all-purpose flour. It all works.
- Storing Bread: Zucchini bread can be stored on the counter for a couple of days wrapped in plastic wrap or up to 1 week in the refrigerator. It also freezes well as a whole for up to 3 months. Tightly wrap in plastic or foil and store in a zip-loc bag in the freezer. Thaw out overnight in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before slicing.
Keywords: zucchini, loaf, bread recipe