The easiest creamy shredded chicken! It comes together in about 30-minutes on the stove top in one pot, and is perfect for tacos, rice bowls, burritos, and meal prep.
- 2 pounds chicken tenders
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup medium salsa verde
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 (4.5 oz.) can mild chopped green chilies
- 1/2 small white onion, diced, about 1/2 cup
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine the chicken tenders, tomatoes, salsa, broth, chilies, onions, chili powder, cumin, salt, and garlic in a 4-quart dutch-oven.
- Place the dutch-oven over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover, increase the heat to medium, and continue to simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the dutch-oven off heat and using two forks, shred the chicken in the dutch-oven. Return to the heat and stir in the cream cheese. Turn the heat off and stir in lime juice and cilantro.
- Variations: Use mild salsa instead of medium for some heat. For smoky flavor, stir in 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika or chipotle pepper in adobo sauce.
- To Freeze: Leftover shredded chicken will keep refrigerated up to 4 days. You can also freeze the chicken. Once it has completely cooled, transfer the chicken to an airtight container or a ziploc bag and store in the freezer up to 3 months. Thaw out overnight in the refrigerator and reheat on the stove top over medium heat.
Keywords: easy, quick, meal prep, pulled chicken