Chicken Marsala recipe made with chicken thighs instead of traditional chicken breast. This easy and flavorful chicken dish comes together in about 30-minutes!
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, cut into strips
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 8 oz. bella/cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup dry Marsala wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
- In a bowl, toss the chicken thigh strips with flour, salt, and pepper until coated all over. Make sure to pat dry the chicken thighs with a few sheets of paper towels before tossing with the flour so they brown nicely.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat in a 12-inch or bigger skillet. For best results, use a stainless steel or cast-iron skillet. Add chicken and cook until golden on the outside, about 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway. Avoid crowding the pan and cook the chicken in batches. Remove to a plate.
- Heat remaining butter and olive oil. Add mushrooms and cook until the water has evaporated and mushrooms begin to brown, about 7-10 minutes. When mushrooms begin to brown, season them with salt and pepper.
- Stir in shallots, garlic, and thyme. Cook until fragrant while stirring constantly, about 30 seconds. Add marsala wine and bring to a boil while stirring and scraping to loosen browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Simmer the wine for about 2 minutes to cook off the alcohol.
- Add chicken broth and chicken. Simmer for about 2 minutes or until the liquid is slightly reduced and chicken is cooked through.
- Add half and half. Bring to a simmer and cook for a few minutes longer until further reduced and thickened. Don’t reduce the sauce too much or you won’t have any sauce left. Stir in parsley and serve.
- Marsala wine: Marsala wine has a deep, sweet flavor, and is very unique to this dish. I recommend dry Marsala wine. Madeira wine is a good substitute but keep in mind that the taste will slightly be different.
- Chicken: For best results, I do not recommend substituting chicken thighs with chicken breast.
Keywords: chicken, marsala, easy