Classic tomato soup with mostly pantry ingredients is going to become your go-to recipe! It’s so simple yet so flavorful.
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme or 2 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp. red chili flakes
- 1 (28 oz.) can whole San Marzano tomatoes in their juice
- 3 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- In a 4-quart nonreactive dutch oven or soup pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in garlic, thyme, and chili flakes. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds while stirring constantly.
- Add tomatoes, including their juice, broth, sugar, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Bring to simmer. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. The soup will slightly reduce.
- Discard the bay leaves. Remove soup from heat. Blend the soup with an immersion blender or with a high-speed blender into a smooth consistency.
- Tomatoes: Use best quality tomatoes, such as San Marzano. If you can’t find San Marzano tomatoes, any other canned whole peeled tomatoes will work. The taste will be slightly different but the texture the same.
- Spiciness: This soup has a slight bite to it. For less spiciness, use 1/8 teaspoon of chili flakes.
- For More Flavor: For more flavor, serve the soup with fresh basil, cream, and grated Parmesan cheese.
Keywords: easy, summer soup, vegetable soup