Weeknight dinner does not get easier than chicken stuffed zucchini boats with spices, marinara sauce, and cheese. Made with less than 10 ingredients for delicious meal!
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil, plus extra for drizzling zucchini
- 4 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise, about 2 lbs.
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. red chili flakes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a small spoon, hollow out the flesh of the zucchini, leaving about ¼-inch thickness around the edges. Place cut side-up on the baking sheet.
- Lightly drizzle the hollowed-out side with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, Italian seasoning, and red chili flakes. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking up the meat with a spatula.
Add the onion and garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for an additional 2-4 minutes or until onion is softened, stirring frequently.
Pour the marinara sauce into the pan and bring to a simmer. Cook until heated through and slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. You want any liquid from the chicken and veggies to steam out and only thick sauce mixture remaining.
Spoon the meat mixture evenly into the zucchini shells, then top with the shredded cheese.
Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and zucchini is tender. If desired, broil for few minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Baking: For best results, use a baking sheet and not a casserole dish, otherwise, the zucchini will release a lot of liquid if crowded too much.
- Leftovers: Leftovers will last in the refrigerator for about 3-4 days when stored in an airtight container. I do not recommend freezing as the zucchini does not hold up well when reheated.
Keywords: easy dinner, sheet pan meal, family friendly