Creamy chicken stroganoff dish with tender mushrooms in a simple, yet flavorful sauce. It’s the ultimate comfort food to enjoy on a cold winter day!
- 4 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced into half rings
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz. baby bella or white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, cut into strips
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 bay leafs
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream (full fat)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- black pepper, to taste
- In a large sauté pan, heat 3 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add mushrooms and cook until lightly golden, about 8-10 minutes. Make sure to not overcrowd the mushrooms or they will seep out and just simmer in their liquid instead of browning. Remove the mushroom mixture to a plate.
- Increase the heat to medium high and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan. Once the oil is hot, add chicken and cook for about 6 minutes or until no longer pink and lightly golden.
- While the chicken is cooking, create a slurry by whisking in the flour into the chicken stock. Add the slurry to the chicken and with a wooden spoon scrape up all the bits from the bottom of the pan until released. The mixture will come to a quick simmer and lightly thicken.
- Stir in the cooked mushrooms, salt, paprika, bay leafs, worcestershire sauce, and black pepper, to taste. Reduce heat to low and simmer the chicken for 20 minutes, partially covered, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the sour cream and parsley. Remove from the heat and discard the bay leafs. Serve over cauliflower mash.
To make a quick cauliflower mash, you will need 3 pound head of cauliflower, cut into florets. Cook the florets in salted water for 10 minutes or until fork tender. Drain thoroughly and add to a food processor along with 1-2 Tablespoons of unsalted butter. Puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Keywords: creamy chicken, russian, easy, comfort food