Creamy cauliflower mash flavored with roasted garlic and ricotta cheese. It’s an easy side dish that goes with absolutely everything and not to mention it is low carb!
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 3 lb. head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- Olive oil
- Chopped chives, for garnish
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut off the tip of each garlic clove (just enough to expose it). Place in a piece of foil and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap the foil tightly and place on a baking sheet.
- Roast the garlic for 10-12 minutes or until soft when pressed. Remove and let cool before peeling. The garlic should easily pop out of their skins when pressed.
- Cook the cauliflower florets in salted water for 8-12 minutes or until fork-tender. Drain over a strainer and then lay flat on a large baking sheet lined with several layers of paper towel. Tap the baking sheet a couple of times on the countertop to get as much water as possible out of the cauliflower.
- Then working quickly, place the cauliflower in a food processor with roasted garlic, butter and ricotta. You can do this in batches as I did or all together if your food processor is big enough. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Purée until smooth and creamy.
- Garnish with chopped chives and serve warm.
- Watery Mash? Try adding some cubed cream cheese. I would stay away from anything liquid, such as cream or even more ricotta cheese as it can thin out the cauliflower mash.
- Substitute for Food Processor: A high-speed blender or an immersion blender can be used instead.
- Leftovers: Leftover mashed cauliflower can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Note: One of the important steps to getting a creamy consistency in a cauliflower mash is to get as much moisture out of the cauliflower before it is puréed. See post for detailed steps on how to do that.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 132
- Sugar: 1.6 g
- Sodium: 38.3 mg
- Fat: 11.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.4 g
- Protein: 3.5 g
- Cholesterol: 23.2 mg
Keywords: low carb side, keto, vegetable mash