Whether you’re trying to sneak more vegetables into your day or cutting down on carbs — cauliflower spinach bake is a tasty casserole that serves well as a vegetarian main dish or side dish.
- 1 large cauliflower (3 pounds), cut into small florets
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 4 oz. cream cheese, cubed
- 3 cups freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt, plus more for cooking cauliflower
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees.
- Cauliflower: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season the water with salt and add cauliflower. Cook cauliflower in the boiling water for no more than 4-5 minutes or just until tender-crisp. Immediately drain over a colander.
- Cheese Sauce: In a small saucepan, warm 1 1/2 cups milk, plus a bay leaf over medium heat. Whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup milk and the flour until there are no lumps.
- When the milk begins to lightly bubble around the edges, whisk in the flour/milk mixture. Reduce the heat to low and add the cream cheese. Whisk until smooth and slightly thickened.
- Discard the bay leaf. Stir in 1 cup of cheddar cheese and whisk just until melted. Then add 1 more cup of cheese, whisking until melted and smooth.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the paprika, mustard, and salt. Season with ground black pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- Breadcrumbs: In a medium non-stick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and stir until completely coated with butter.
- To Assemble: Add half of the cauliflower to a 10 X 10 baking dish. Top with spinach and then the remaining cauliflower. Pour the cheese sauce over the cauliflower. Using a spoon, lightly move the cauliflower around so it is evenly coated with the sauce.
- Top with the remaining 1 cup of cheddar cheese, breadcrumbs, and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 13-15 minutes or just until the cheese has melted. Broil for additional 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Serve immediately.
- Tips & Tricks: See the post for more details.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 314
- Sugar: 6.3 g
- Sodium: 590.8 mg
- Fat: 22.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.7 g
- Protein: 16.3 g
- Cholesterol: 65.1 mg
Keywords: low carb, casserole, cauliflower spinach recipes