The easiest bowl of comfort food! This lightened up classic is made with olive oil and milk instead of butter and cream. It’s loaded with wholesome broccoli and freshly grated cheddar cheese.
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced, 3/4 cup
- 1 medium carrot, diced, 1 cup
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 8 oz. block cheddar cheese*, freshly grated, plus more for serving
- cayenne pepper, for serving, optional
- In a 4-quart dutch-oven, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and carrots, and sauté for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for additional 30 seconds.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute while stirring. Add the bay leaf, mustard, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and then gradually whisk in the milk until smooth. Add the vegetable stock and bring to a simmer, then simmer for 3-4 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Add broccoli, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until tender.
- Turn off the heat, discard the bay leaf, and gradually stir in cheese. Taste for salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately, topped with extra cheese and cayenne pepper, if desired.
- Buy a block of cheese and shred it yourself. It’s much creamier and melts way better than pre-shredded bagged cheese. Only melt cheese over low heat or it will separate and look grainy.
- Leftovers will keep refrigerated up to 3 days. My biggest tip would be to reheat the soup on the stovetop over low heat so it does not separate. Soup does not freeze well.
- Variations: Use frozen broccoli instead of fresh. Amount and instructions are the same. For non-dairy milk, full-fat coconut milk is a good alternative. You will need one (14 oz.) can which yields anywhere from 1 2/3 cups to 1 3/4 cups of milk, depending on the brand.
Keywords: healthy, cheese soup, milk soup, fall