Baked teriyaki chicken with brown rice and healthy teriyaki sauce is an easy and healthy family meal.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cups long-grain brown rice, such as Jasmati
- 3 cups hot (boiling) water
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 Tbsp. butter, sliced
- 16 oz. bag frozen Asian style vegetables
- Optional: green onions for garnish
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. fresh grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp. cornstarch (whisked together with 1/4 cup water)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Rinse the rice under cold water and set aside.
- Add onions, garlic, salt and rice to a 9 X 13 casserole dish. Pour hot water and stir to combine.
- Stir in olive oil and chicken thighs. Top the mixture with butter; cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil, add frozen vegetables on top of the rice and chicken mixture without stirring. Return back to the oven and bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- Pour teriyaki sauce over the rice and chicken mixture; cover with foil and let rest for 5-10 minutes before stirring/fluffing. If desired, garnish with fresh green onions before serving.
- In a small saucepan, combine soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, honey, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Bring the mixture to a slow simmer.
- Add cornstarch slurry (cornstarch mixed with water) and simmer over medium-low heat until thickened, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and keep warm.
Keywords: baked chicken teriyaki, healthy chicken teriyaki, healthy teriyaki sauce