Quick and easy one-bowl banana blueberry muffins made with white whole wheat flour and honey. Bursting with fresh blueberries, these muffins are a perfect morning pick-me-up!
- 1/3 cup refined coconut oil, in liquid form
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup packed mashed ripe bananas, about 2-3 bananas
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour, properly measured
- 1 1/4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, no need to defrost
- Turbinado sugar or coconut sugar, for topping, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a standard 12-cup muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk coconut oil and honey. Add eggs and banana. Then whisk in the milk.
- Whisk in baking soda, vanilla, and salt. With a wooden spoon, stir in the flour. Batter will be thick. Do not overmix. Gently fold in the blueberries. Optional: To prevent blueberries from sinking to the bottom, toss them with one heaping teaspoon of flour.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared pan, filling all the way to the top. You should be able to fill all 12 muffin cups. If desired, sprinkle the tops with turbinado or coconut sugar for a crunchy topping and a pretty muffin top.
- Bake for 17-22 or until the toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let the muffins cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack. Store cooled muffins, covered, at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Oil: Use refined coconut oil for this recipe. It has a neutral taste and smell, whereas unrefined or commonly labeled as “virgin” coconut oil has a tropical coconut flavor. Avocado oil is a good substitute for coconut oil.
- Milk: Dairy or non-dairy milk works in this recipe.
- Flour: White whole wheat flour is sometimes hard to find so all-purpose flour can be used instead. For a gluten-free option, use certified gluten-free oat flour.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 227
- Sugar: 16.2 g
- Sodium: 219.4 mg
- Fat: 7.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 36.9 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 32 mg
Keywords: on the go, easy, fresh