Today is all about meatless Monday to balance out the Super Bowl gooey dips, saucy wings, and cold drinks from last night. Southwestern Flatbread is all fresh and vibrant veggies on a thin puff pastry crust with chunky guacamole and drizzle of Avocado Cream. It’s an easy recipe that comes together pretty quickly and serves as an appetizer, light lunch, or even dinner.
I love meals like this on a weeknight because they are so stinkin’ easy and are perfect on the go meal to satisfy your veggie + pizza craving but in a much lighter way.
My favorite part is the Avocado Cream!!! I know, creams, sauces, etc., are supposed to enhance the food flavors and not be the main attraction but honestly, I feel like the Avocado Cream wins here. It’s the same recipe I used in my Skinny Avocado Pizza. Everything about the avocado cream is delicious: the ingredients, taste, and look. It’s a nice balance of creamy and fresh that goes absolutely delicious on a veggie topped flatbread like this.
The flatbread itself is pretty simple. I used store bought puff pastry that I baked until golden crisp, then slathered on some chunky guacamole and topped it off with corn, tomatoes, red onion, and cilantro. Simple, yet delicious combo of ingredients. Plus, you feel good when you eat it!
Southwestern flatbread with the most delicious creamy avocado, vibrant sweet corn, and fresh cilantro. Not to mention the most addictive avocado cream.
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- 2 1/2 ripe avocados, pitted
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. salsa verde (store bought or homemade)
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 (15 oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- 1 green onion (about 2 Tbsp. chopped)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 1/2 avocado
- squeeze of lime juice
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 15X10″ rectangle. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Lightly brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Pierce the dough with a fork to prevent bubbling (If the dough bubbles up, lightly pierce down with a fork). Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden crisp. Remove from the oven and cool at room temperature for 5-8 minutes.
- Scoop out the avocado flesh into a small bowl. Mash with a fork until chunky smooth. Add salsa verde and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Spread the guacamole on top of the puff pastry.
- Combine the corn, tomatoes, red onion, and cilantro. Spoon on top of the guacamole. Season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Drizzle with Avocado Sauce and serve immediately.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Store covered in the refrigerator.
Flatbread is best when served fresh.
Keywords: easy, finger food, summer, fresh