Make your own salted caramel hot chocolate at home! It’s so easy, you know exactly what ingredients are going in and not to mention, it is way less expensive than the coffee shop version. Plus it’s topped with the most luscious homemade whipped topping!
Today I’m sharing my holiday guilty pleasure. It involves chocolate, salted caramel and whipped topping. Since the first time I tried salted caramel ice cream at our local ice cream shop, I’ve been hooked on everything salted caramel. It’s the sweet and salty combo that gets me every single time. Including this salted caramel hot chocolate.
I never really realized how easy it is to make your own hot chocolate. I will admit I was the person buying those pre-made packets until not long ago. But not anymore!
All you need is cocoa powder, sugar, water, milk, half and half, and vanilla extract. You combine everything in a sauce pan and bring to a really hot temperature. Then add Smucker’s Simple Delight Caramel Toppings.
Then the homemade whipped topping. It is so easy to make your own at home and if you have little ones, be prepared to make a double batch like I end up doing. every.single.time. You will need heavy whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla. Beat everything on high speed until stiff peaks then top your hot chocolate. To finish it off, I like to add a drizzle of hot Smucker’s Toppings over the whipped cream and also shaved chocolate. So optional but so recommended.
Cozying up with a cup of hot chocolate with my little dude around the holidays is one of my favorite past times. It’s so simple but so warming and good. My son is a huge fan. Of the whipped topping that is #ofcourse 🙂Print
- 1/3 cup unsweetened good quality cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water (I used filtered water)
- 3 1/2 cups milk (I used whole milk)
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Smucker’s Simple Delight Salted Caramel Topping, plus extra for drizzling
- shaved dark chocolate, optional
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a large sauce pan, combine cocoa powder, sugar, and water. Stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Add milk, half and half, and vanilla extract. Cook until it is heated through but not simmered or boiled. Stir in salted Caramel until it dissolves.
- Pour the hot chocolate into mugs. Top with whipped topping, drizzle additional caramel and sprinkle of chocolate. Yields: 5 cups
- While the hot chocolate is cooking, place a large metal mixing bowl into the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the freezer and place sugar into the mixing bowl. Add whipping cream and vanilla. Beat on high speed with an electric mixer just until the cream reaches stiff peaks. Serve immediately.
pop the caramel in the microwave – it makes drizzling so easy!