Lightened up Thanksgiving stuffing made with whole wheat bread, fraction of the butter, and half of bread than most recipes call for. You don’t want to miss this mushroom and kale stuffing!
We are diving into stuffing today! This stuffing though is not like any other stuffing. It’s way lighter than the traditional stuffing but without ANY compromise to the flavor. Heavy on the veggies and light on the bread.
I discovered this stuffing couple years back and it’s by far the best stuffing I ever had. Rich, buttery, and so flavorful. Plus the ingredients are very simple. However, just like any other stuffing it’s very heavy. So I re-created a lighter version of the stuffing by using fraction of the butter, whole wheat bread and way less of what most recipes call for, and also loaded this bad boy with plenty of veggies!
The recipe ingredients are quite simple. I used whole wheat baguette that I cut into cubes and toasted in the oven. Then sautéed the mushrooms, kale, onion, and celery. I used about a 13-inch pan. Added concoction of herbs: parsley, thyme, rosemary, and sage. Do not leave them out. They add SO much flavor. Combined the bread and veggies with broth and eggs. The eggs add a little custardy component to the stuffing. Bake for 30 minutes covered and 30 minutes uncovered. Serve right away!
Make it. Snap it. Show it. Instagram @littlebrokenblog or snapchat → littlebrokenblg
- 4 cups whole wheat baguette, cut into cubes
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 pound baby bella mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 4 cups lacinato kale (aka Tuscan kale), de-stemmed* + chopped
- 2 cups sweet onion, chopped (about 1 large)
- 1 1/2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh sage, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Scatter bread cubes on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mushrooms will release their moisture and begin to turn golden brown.
- Add kale, reduce heat to medium, and cook for 3-4 minutes or until soft, stirring couple times.
- Add onion and celery. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until celery + onion begin to soften. If the veggies begin to stick to the pan, add couple tablespoons of water.
- Remove from the heat and stir in parsley, thyme, rosemary, sage, and garlic.
- In a large bowl combine the bread with vegetables. Pour 1 cup chicken stock over the mixture and toss gently.
- Whisk remaining 1/4 cup chicken broth and eggs in a small bowl. Add to bread mixture and fold gently until thoroughly combined. Stuffing should be moist but not soggy or dry.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking dish, cover with foil, and bake for 30 minutes. Then take the foil off and continue baking for 20-30 minutes or until the top is browned and crisp. Serve immediately.
*make sure to remove the entire stem of the kale leaf before chopping (see here)
**Make Ahead: prepare the bread the night before, cool completely, and store in an airtight container or large ziploc bag. Prepare the vegetable mixture through step 5. Cool completely and store covered in the refrigerator. Continue with step 6 when ready to bake.