I’m not the one with a big sweet tooth but between traveling, birthdays, more birthdays, office feeder and just random late night chocolate cravings, it seems like I’m confronted with something chocolatey, gooey, creamy or puffy everywhere I turn. Plus who can pass along the most adorable glazed pink icing peeps donut? Thank you Dunkin’ Donuts and my co-workers.
This Green Detox Salad is sweet, crunchy, creamy but minus the calories. It will leave you fulfilled and wanting more but without the guilt.
Any type of greens work well for this salad. I like combining a variety of different color, texture, size and just happened to have a great spinach and spring mix.
To balance the freshness of the vegetables, I roasted asparagus and beets to bring out their sweetness.Then it’s all about adding more flavor and crunch. Nothing says spring like radishes, peas and green onions. Radishes are great for color and go well with the bloody dark beets. Crispness of the green apple combined with the rest of the vegetables and sprinkled with crumbled salty feta and toasted pumpkin seeds is a perfect combination.
When you have a salad packed with variety of vegetables of different color, texture, size and sprinkled with healthy crunchy protein you don’t need much more than that. So a simple olive oil and lemon juice combo works well to bring all flavors together while keeping the calories low. This is my go to type of vinaigrette 99.9%. Simple as that.
By adding a squeeze of lemon to the olive oil it adds a little bit of tanginess and balances out the simplicity of the oil.
- 4 cups spinach/spring mix greens
- 2 beets, peeled and diced (1/2 inch)
- 1/2 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut in half
- 4 radishes, halved and sliced
- 1 granny smith apple, cored, halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup snap peas, sliced diagonally
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- fresh lemon
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Line a large roasting pan or baking sheet with foil.
- Toss the beets and asparagus with olive oil and coat evenly.
- Place the vegetables on a roasting pan in a single layer and roast for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove asparagus from roasting pan to a plate. Continue roasting beets for additional 15 more minutes or until fork tender. Cool slightly.
- Add salad greens, beets, asparagus, radishes, apple, snap peas, and green onions to a large bowl. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and squeeze of fresh lemon. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds and feta. Enjoy!
Do not crowd the vegetables when roasting or they will steam instead of roast.