These tuna melts are made with creamy avocado, wholesome cheddar cheese, and whole grain bread. Fraction of the calories and taste 100% amazing!
These tuna melts will rock your world! No seriously. They are so creamy, crunchy, and just melt in your mouth good and the best part…they’re not loaded with ton of mayo. Instead they’re made with creamy avocado and only two tablespoons of mayo, tangy Dijon mustard, and zesty fresh lemon juice. The avocado acts like “mayo” and adds all the delicious creaminess that we all love in a tuna melt.
You can use your favorite whole grain bread. I used Harvest bread. It’s loaded with ton of seeds/nuts and I love the crunchy texture it adds to the melt. You want to toast the bread first, then top the toast with the tuna salad, slice of tomato, sprinkle of cheese, and broil for about 3-4 minutes until the cheese has melted.
These truly come together so quickly and make the most delicious light meal.
p.s. for an added bonus…serve them with your favorite pickles (you wont regret it).
Make it. Snap it. Show it. Instagram @littlebrokenblog or snapchat → littlebrokenblg
- 3 (5 oz.) cans albacore tuna in water, drained
- 1 large ripe avocado, pitted
- 1 Tbsp. red onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 6-8 slices crusty whole grain bread, such as harvest bread
- 1-2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place bread slices on a parchment lined baking sheet and toast for 13-15 minutes until golden crisp, flipping halfway.
- While the bread is toasting, add drained tuna and avocado to a bowl and mash with a fork breaking up any large chunks.
- Add onion, parsley, mayonnaise, mustard, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Mix to combine.
- Top each toast with tuna mixture, slice of tomato, and cheese. Broil for 3-4 minutes or until cheese has melted. Serve immediately.