Our house salad recipe can not be any more easier to make! It’s our go to salad 99% of time. Made with crisp romaine lettuce, cucumbers, sweet tomatoes, and creamy avocado, then tossed in a zesty dressing.
Every home has a house salad. You know…a salad that you make almost every night to go with your dinner. Well today, I’m sharing a recipe for our house salad and honestly it’s such a simple recipe but we never get tired of it. It’s so crisp, so fresh, and so ZESTY. It’s one of those salads that you can eat every single day and never get tired of it. Plus it goes with just about any entrée imaginable!
It consists of fresh romaine lettuce. Sometimes I like to use bagged romaine salad mix with shredded carrots and cabbage. It goes really well here too. Then mini cucumbers. I love mini cucumbers. They are a perfect mouth size and are super crisp. Then the tomatoes. You can really use just about any tomatoes but I personally love grape tomatoes. Easy to work with and kids love them! Mini heirlooms is another type that I love. I find them at Trader Joes. And of course last but not least….avocado. Totally up to you on how much you want to add but for me the more the merrier. Just because I love avocados.
The salad dressing I like to keep pretty simple: extra-virgin olive oil, fresh lemon juice, red wine vinegar, and salt. Sometimes I’ll whisk in some dried spices, such as oregano or basil but for the most part I keep it simple. The dressing is really zesty and gives the salad a good kick.
I also love to add fresh feta or chopped cilantro into the mix but for the most part this is our go to. Hubby loves it, kids love it, and I absolutely love it. You can make a total meal out of it. Pair it with some grilled chicken or crusty bread and you’re basically set.
Make it. Snap it. Show it. Instagram @littlebrokenblog or snapchat → littlebrokenblg
- 12 cups chopped romaine lettuce or romaine salad mix (with shredded carrots + red cabbage)
- 2-3 mini cucumbers or ½ seedless cucumber, thinly sliced
- 8 oz. grape or mini heirloom tomatoes, halved
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2-3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice, about 1½ lemons
- 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- black pepper, to taste
- First prepare the salad dressing by whisking together the olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, and salt. Season with black pepper, to taste.
- Then, in a large salad bowl, combine the romaine lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, and shallots. Pour the dressing and toss to combine. Taste for salt and pepper.
- Lastly, layer the avocado slices on top of the salad or gently mix in. Serve immediately.
© Little Broken. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission or claim my work as your own. Feel free to Pin, Tweet, Facebook and share away with a link back to the recipe post. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link back to this recipe.