Super moist healthy zucchini bread made with coconut oil, no white sugar, crushed pineapple, and white-whole wheat flour. At only 146 calories!
I’m bringing back a classic today. Zucchini bread. I think every other person has a favorite zucchini bread recipe. So today, I’m sharing my version that’s been in my recipe book for as long as I can remember. The original recipe calls for white sugar, oil, and white flour. End result, very delicious but not too healthy. However, with couple ingredient swaps this new recipe is not only absolutely delicious and moist but only 146 calories per slice! I mean does it get better than that?!
So this bread recipe starts with buttermilk. There’s no doubt I love me some buttermilk in baked goods. Buttermilk is an amazing tenderizer and also acts like a binding agent. I swapped coconut oil for olive oil, which is a much healthier alternative and with only 1/3 cup for the whole recipe! To get coconut oil in liquid form, scoop some out into a glass measuring cup (I kind of eyeballed it) and melt in microwave for 30-40 seconds. If the oil begins to solidify once you stir it with the other ingredients, do not worry about that. Just give it a good whisk to incorporate it back in. The small chunks will melt during the baking process.
Moving on to the pineapple. I so so love it in this recipe! I was tempted to use mashed up bananas, which a lot of “healthier” zucchini bread recipes out there call for but I wanted to try something different and crushed pineapple was my best alternative. Not only does it help bind the batter but it also sweetens it. So instead of using a cup of white sugar, I’ve broken it down a bit where I’m only using 1/2 cup of brown sugar and the rest is sweetened with crushed pineapple.
Lastly, I swapped white-whole wheat flour for all purpose flour. I purchased my flour at Trader Joe’s and I know majority of mainstream grocery stores carry it as well now. It’s a nice middle between white and whole wheat flour.
The result is super moist, lightly sweetened, zucchini bread, without any weird ingredients or steps! You can definitely enjoy it as is but little bit of butter and drizzle of honey wont hurt either. I promise. It’s so goooood!
Make it. Snap it. Show it. Instagram @littlebrokenblog or snapchat → littlebrokenblg
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, in liquid form
- 1 large egg
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ cup crushed pineapple in juice
- ½ cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1½ cup white-whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. fine-grain sea salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup shredded zucchini, lightly packed (about 1 zucchini, 7 ounces)*
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 325 F degrees. Lightly coat a 9" X 5" loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, coconut oil, egg, vanilla extract, and pineapple. Stir in the brown sugar.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture and with a wooden spoon, stir just until combined. Some lumps are okay.
- Stir in the zucchini and lemon zest.
- Spoon the batter into the greased pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transfering to a wire rack.
Serving size: 1 slice