Are you guys tired of salads yet? I hope not because I’m on a roll and not planning on stopping any time soon. It seriously feels good to eat a little healthier and fresher, despite the cold weather outside that sometimes calls for chocolate lava cake. Yes, it really happened on Friday night. I was desperate after my healthy cod fish dinner. So desperate that I made it from scratch at nine o’clock at night and it was worth every extra calorie. I liked it, it tasted good, and that’s the end of story.
So today, I’m back to crunchy, crispy salad greens and healthy veggies, with some fresh mandarin oranges thrown into the mix. I go through phases where I crave citrus, either oranges or mandarins. Costco has been carrying Halos California mandarins that I’ve been popping like there’s no tomorrow. In my opinion they are the tastiest, sweetest, and easiest to peel mandarins. So I made a salad with them!
Mandarin Peanut-Crunch Salad is all about Asian infused flavors of chopped romaine, red cabbage, carrots, cucumber, scallions, peanuts and plenty of mandarins. Tossed in a slightly sweet orange marmalade with a hint of spicy dressing. If you can’t get your hands on fresh mandarins, use canned. Just drain them really well.
This salad is all about crunch! It comes together super easy and serves as a tasty light lunch. You can also turn this into a delicious main-dish salad by adding shredded cooked chicken.
Follow me – littlebrokenblog on Instagram and show me what you are cooking from my blog! Use the hashtag #littlebrokenblog.
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced cucumbers
- 3 scallions, sliced
- ¼ cup honey roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 3 mandarin oranges, peeled, separated into slices and halved crosswise (if you have time and patience you can peel the mandarin slices)
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. sunflower oil
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. orange marmalade
- 1 tsp. chili-garlic sauce
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the salad ingredients. Toss with dressing; season with salt and pepper as needed and serve immediately.
- Whisk the rice vinegar, sunflower oil, brown sugar, orange marmalade, chili-garlic sauce, and fresh lemon juice in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately or cover and store in refrigerator.
© Little Broken. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission or claim my work as your own. Feel free to Pin, Tweet, Facebook and share away with a link back to the recipe post. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link back to this recipe.
adapted with changes from Costco cookbook